Fancy a good apple pie, without the carbs? You'll love it!
Here is the recipe on page 228 of the book NOS MEILLEURES RECETTES CÉTOGÈNES, by Dr. Èvelyne Borduas-Roy and Mrs. Josée Arsenault.
2 litres (8 cups) eggplant, peeled and cubed
60 ml (1/4 cup) erythritol (or less, to taste)
90 ml (6 tablespoons) butter
180 ml (3/4 cup) water
30 ml (2 tablespoons)Les Savoureux organic dessert seasoning
15 ml (1 tablespoon) fresh lemon juice
15 ml (1 tablespoon) xanthan gum (1 tablespoon) xanthan gum
500 ml (2 cups) 35% whipping cream
For the crust
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) almond powder or flour
30 ml (2 tablespoons) erythritol (or less, to taste)
1.25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
60 ml (1/4 cup) melted butter
Instructions for use
1. Preheat oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
2. In a bowl, combine the almond powder or flour with the erythritol and salt. Stir in the melted butter.
3. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom and side of a pie plate, pressing down with the back of a spoon. Prick the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming under the crust during baking.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
5. While the crust is baking, place the eggplant cubes, erythritol, butter and water in a saucepan. Cover and cook for 5 to 8 minutes over low heat, until the eggplant cubes are very tender.
6. Add Les Savoureux Organic Dessert Seasonings, xanthan gum and lemon juice. Stir. Continue cooking for a few minutes, until mixture has thickened.
7. Pour filling over crust.
To accompany: Whipped cream!
Using an electric mixer, whip the 35% whipping cream and add it, for an authentic apple pie taste!