Fancy a good apple pie, without the carbs? You will only see fire!
Here is the recipe on page 228 of the book OUR BEST KETOGENIC RECIPES, by Dr. Èvelyne Borduas-Roy and Ms. Josée Arsenault.
2 liters (8 cups) eggplant, peeled and cut into small cubes
60 ml (1/4 cup) erythritol (or less to taste)
90 ml (6 tbsp.) Butter
180 ml (3/4 cup) water
30 ml (2 tbsp.)Les Savoureux organic dessert seasoning
15 ml (1 tbsp.) Fresh lemon juice
15 ml (1 tbsp.) Xanthan gum
500 ml (2 cups) 35% whipping cream
For the crust
375 ml (1 1/2 cups) almond powder or flour
30 mL (2 tbsp.) Erythritol (or less, to taste)
1,25 ml (1/4 teaspoon) salt
60/1 cup (4 ml) melted butter
1. Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F)
2. In a bowl, combine the almond powder or flour with the erythritol and salt. Incorporate the melted butter.
3. Distribute the mixture evenly around the bottom and side of a pie plate, pressing down with the back of a spoon. Prick the crust with a fork to prevent bubbles from forming under the crust during cooking.
4. Bake for 20 minutes, until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
5. While the crust cooks, place the eggplant cubes, erytritol, butter and water in a saucepan. Cover and cook, 5 to 8 minutes, over low heat, until the eggplant cubes are very tender.
6. Add the Les Savoureux organic dessert seasonings xanthan gum and lemon juice. Stir. Continue cooking for a few minutes, until the mixture has thickened.
7. Pour the filling over the crust.
To accompany: Whipped cream!
Using an electric mixer, whip the 35% whipping cream and add it, for an authentic apple pie taste!